Uploading your design
There are two ways you can do this :
1. Through the 'Create' Page from our homepage
2. Through the 'Add Design' section on your studio in 'My Designs'
Simply follow the steps
1. Upload your file -
- They can be JPG, TIF, PNG or GIF
- Must be under 40 MB
- Recommended to be 150 DPI
- Must be a flattened image with no masks or extra channels - layers may cause issues with prints
- For more detailed information, please visit our 'File Set up' tips
2. Approve ownership of the file/ image
This is to confirm that you own or have permission to sell and use the image or design you have uploaded.
Adding descriptions and details to my designs?
Now that you have uploaded your design it is important to fill in as much information as possible about your design. This will help you sell more as the filtering of the site is based on the information you provide.
1. PRODUCT NAME* It is important to have a clear and catchy name. It is the first thing anyone will see and you don't want to have the same as many other designers.
2. DESCRIPTION* Tell us what the inspiration behind your design was and any details that help the customers.
3. ADDITIONAL DETAILS Tell us more about how one can use your product, what fabrics you recommend and any other extra information that inspires people to buy your design.
4. PRODUCT THUMBNAIL* You can decide how big or small you want your design to display on the website.
5. ADDITIONAL IMAGES Here is your chance to really show off your design. Add additional images of products made to inspire others.
6. LABELS* This is important as it is the main filtering system. You want to add enough labels so that your design comes up when relevant labels are searched.
7. COLLECTION LABELS You can use collection labels to group your designs. When you are in the shop, other products of that collection will appear on the right hand side when any of your designs has been selected.
8. COLOURS Using the colour filtering can really benefit your sales and you can help others find what they are looking for.
9. DESIGNED FOR Pick what you designed your artwork for. This often depends on the size you have picked - For example, wallpaper artworks will be designed at a bigger scale. Please see ‘how to size my design’ in the Design Tips.
The descriptions with a ‘*’ are compulsory and you won’t be able to save your design if they haven't been completed.
How can I sell my design to the public?
In order to sell your design to the public you will have to order a ‘design proof’ - this can be any print of the design, from a sample to many meters of fabric, wallpaper, accessories or gift wrap.
There are two ways to make your design public.
The easy way:
1. Once you upload your design, click on the left hand side the button ‘make public’.
2. A pop up window will inform you that you need to buy a ‘sample print’. Press ‘Ok’ and now that button should be orange with a tick.
This means that we know that you want your design to be public and as soon as you purchase a ‘sample print’ or any amount of your design it will automatically be processed to go public.
3. The next step is to go through the description and fill in the fields. Once you are happy with the information you can save your design.
Note : When you buy any amount of your design, the design in 'My Studio‘ will show a pending’ label on it. This label will turn to ‘Approved’ or ‘Not Approved’ (see FAQs) within once the order has been dispatched.
The reasons for your design not to be approved are if its content is offensive, you have violated the copyrights of someone's artwork/image, the uploaded work is very low resolution/pixelated or if its a pattern and it doesn't repeat properly.
The longer way:
In case you are unsure or you want to sell your design publicly at a later stage, you can simply upload your design and save it. Now it is just private, no one else can see it. If you buy any amount you will have the option to change that status.
You can easily do that by clicking on edit and then clicking 'Sell to public' and add all the descriptions needed if you haven't done already.
Proofing your design in order to make it public.
This just means that you have to buy any amount of your design in order to assume that the pattern, colours and size are what you envisioned. The cheapest option is to buy a sample print and keep it safe as your proof of design.
This also allows our team to ensure that the design complies with our terms of service and the digital file is of a good quality for resale.
Why is my design 'Not Approved'?
The reasons for your design not to be approved are:
1. The artwork contains content which is offensive and/or violates our terms of service
2. There is a violation of IP rights of another party. See ‘Terms of `Service’
3. The uploaded work is very low resolution/pixelated
4. If there is a design fault such as flaws in the design or a poor repeat with a white edge. The team may change the design to ‘Not approved’ even if the design has previously been approved for sale. This is to ensure that customers buying your design are not disappointed. In that case, you can ‘email us’ and our team can try to help you replace the design without having to buy another sample print. This will only happen once per designer as we can not be responsible for checking every single pattern. If you are unsure how to create pattern repeats please follow our ‘design tips’ or ‘tutorials’.
If I design a print and upload it to Fashion Formula, am I still allowed to use it for any of my own projects or am I also giving the ownership of the design to Fashion Formula?
When you upload your design, you retain full Intellectual Property ownership of your design. You can use it for whatever you want.
Additionally, you grant an unrestricted licence to the site for both the Fashion Formula site to use,sell and promote your designs etc; and to other members of the public to both view and comment on them, and, in return for a commission, also to use the products printed with the design for what ever purpose they might like - whether it be making a nice dress, creating a line of accessories to sell or decorating an office wall.
The legal bit from our Website Terms of Service
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. The rights you license to us are described in the next paragraph (Rights you licence).
Rights you licence
When you upload or post content to our site, you grant the following licenses:
· LICENCES GRANTED TO FASHION FORMULA LTD
· Any data, materials, content
· LICENCES GRANTED TO OTHER USERS OF THE SITE OR TO THIRD PARTIES
· Other users of the site or third parties can view, archive and comment on content within the www.fashion-formula.com website
· Other users of the site or third parties can purchase products manufactured using the content, in return for a commission. There are no limitations on the usage of these products. All intellectual property rights for the design content manufactured, including but not limited to the designs, text, images, photos etc will remain with the licencee.
So how does it work?
Create your own mini shop at Fashion Formula and start selling your designs on fabric, wallpaper and gift wrap for commission. How it works:
1. Create a shop - design your own header and tell the world about you in your bio.
2. Upload your designs - label them, create collections and publish them online for the public to see and purchase on fabric, wallpaper and giftwrap. Choose whether to make them on sale, private or just for viewing / showing your portfolio.
3. Earn a commission - Each time someone buys fabric, wallpaper or gift wrap with your print design, you can earn up to 20% of the sale price - ie. £100.00 sale = £20.00 to you. Payment is made automatically at the end of the month with no minimum earning limits.
You can share your unique shop URL on your social media and website to help promote your designs.
Importantly, the designs you upload are on a non-exclusive licence meaning you can sell and promote them elsewhere and you can always remove them from sale if you do not want them on the site any more. Copyright always remains with you.
Create an account and start selling today.